Getting back from a hard day, the first thing I want is a snack. But it is hard to have a good snack that is also healthy. Usually, I like something crunchy, sweet and salty. However, a snack like that is usually unhealthy … or is it? Making a healthy snack could never be easier and cheaper. Popcorn is low calorie, cheap and really easy to make.
I used to do stovetop popcorn, and it used a lot of oil, but recently I learned a way to easily make popcorn using no oil and have it flavored the way you like.
- Using a large microwave safe bowl that you can cover, put about 1/8 cup of popcorn kernels in the bowl.
- Cover the bowl (loose enough for some air but tight enough to contain the popping kernels) and place the bowl in the microwave.
- Set the microwave on high for about 3 1/2 to 4 minutes.
- Remove the bowl (using oven mitts) and remove the lid.
Now you are ready to make your popcorn tasty and healthy.
My 3 Favorite Popcorn Toppings:
Drizzle some extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle some salt for that classic popcorn taste.
Healthy Kettle Corn:
Heat up some honey and oil (about 1/8 cup total) in the microwave, mix it together and pour it on your popcorn. Shake it in a closed bowl to evenly coat the popcorn kernels. Open the container and sprinkle some salt (about 1/2 tablespoons,) close the container and shake it again. Now you have tasty and healthy kettle corn ready to go.
(Using a mini blender) blend:
- a few basil leaves,
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/8 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- (Optional) 1 tsp black pepper
Add the mixture into the popcorn, shake it around and you are ready to enjoy a surprisingly good tasting popcorn treat.
Feel free to enjoy your evening with a healthy treat. Comment below on which topping is your favorite and maybe another fun healthy topping you enjoy as well.